It is customary for our rural people. It still wears a piece of asafetida wrapped in a clean white cloth in the patient’s hand when they get sick like chickenpox and measles. Asafetida is formerly known as the “Food of the gods” in some eastern Counties. it was used as a remedy from infant to old age.
Ayurvedic doctors say that asafetida, a generic drug, is now getting out of use in modern society.
|Botanical Name||Ferula assa-foetida|
Asafetida, a perennial plant that grows to about 1.5-2m, has a circular leaf structure with about 30 to 40 leaves. The leaves of the stem have broadleaf sheaths. Flowering knobs are about 10cm thick. Flowers are light yellow. All part of the plant has a pungent odour.
it is called Perankayan in Tamil. This is “Inguva” in Telugu, In Kannada is Ingu. Mende du diable in French, Devils dung and ascent, Food of the Gods.in other languages, including English.
It is obtained by dehydrating the tops of the plant(an underground stem), the flowing secretions (milk).
it is grown in India and is endemic to Afghanistan. Asafetida, though a pungent odour, brings a mild flavour to the taste of leeks ones they are cooked.
Top Health Benefits of Asafetida
- it is used to prevent stomach upset and to control the growth of microorganisms that are endemic to the gut.
- In Jammu, India, it is used as a good remedy for constipation.
- This drug has also helped to combat the Spanish epidemic in 1918.
- According to the internet, a small pouch containing asafetida for asthma and bronchitis, hanging around the patient’s neck, is a traditional treatment in Europe.
- In 2009, the research found that the plant produces and an anti-viral agent called sesquiterpene coumarins, which is a treatment for H.N.Virus infection.
- According to Unani treatment, it is said to be great medicine for Neurological diseases.
- Asafetida, special types of spice used in culinary arts, plays an important role in digestion. It also used for picking and often with turmeric for food preparation.
Thus, it is clear that asafetida is not just a food of God, it is also great medicine for man’s various ailments, as well as an excellent food tasting and spice.